Safety tips for pedestrians
While we all know it’s important be safe when driving, it’s also important to be careful about how we use mobiles as pedestrians.
While you’re walking, crossing the road or waiting for public transport, don’t let yourself be distracted by your mobile device as it can lead to serious accidents and injury.
Here are some tips that pedestrians should adopt:
- If you are using your mobile while walking, make sure you exercise caution and remain aware of potential hazards. Even when not crossing the road, be aware of other pedestrians and look, listen and think when walking on streets, particularly near car parks, driveways, train stations and bus stops.
- Pause your music and pay full attention while crossing the road. It’s important to be able to hear traffic approaching as well as see it.
- Be particularly careful and pause your music/video/texting when getting on and off public transport such as trams, buses and trains. Always stand behind the yellow line while waiting for the tram or train.
Tips for Pokemon Go Players:
If you are using your mobile to play a game such as Pokemon Go – don’t forget to play safely. It may be an augmented reality game but the outside world is still real and the laws of physics will still apply:
- Keep your eyes open and watch where you’re going (your phone will buzz, you don’t need to be looking at the screen to catch one!)
- Stop to catch one – don’t keep walking or you may walk into something (like a tree!)
- Be aware of your surroundings – don’t get so caught up in the game that you get lost or end up in a place that isn’t safe
- Keep an eye on your phone’s battery while you are out – as running the game will use battery life.
- Don’t forget to take care of all the usual human stuff – like eating, drinking, staying warm/cool and don’t forget the sunscreen.
- In-App/in game purchases can add up quickly so keep an eye on your spending. Parents – you may want to make sure that your iTunes or GooglePlay account is password-protected so that children do not have unlimited access to your credit card if it is linked.
- And remember to also watch your data usage – so you don’t end up with bill shock.
For more information, go to: