Carriers powers and immunities reforms
Tranche One of the powers and immunities reforms has been finalised with the registration of the Telecommunications Code of Practice 2021 and Telecommunications (Low-impact Facilities) Amendment Determination 2021 on the Federal Register of Legislation on the 8th November 2021.
Summary of the changes introduced by the instruments is as follows:
Code of Practice
- Consolidated carrier conditions relating to safety and operations into a new Chapter.
- New requirement for carriers to provide landowners with installation certificates that apply to certain types of facilities.
- Extended record keeping obligations for carriers relating to depth of underground facilities at the time of installation.
- New requirement for carriers to withdraw notices for cancelled activities.
- New power that enables carriers to refer a matter to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
- Inclusion of a timeframe in which carriers must refer landowner-requested objections to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.
Low Impact Facilities Determination (LIFD)
- Increased the maximum protrusion length of antennae from 3 metres to 5 metres;
- Increased the maximum diameter of a radiocommunications dish from 1.8 metres to 2.4 metres;
- Amended the current tower extension conditions to include commercial areas, and to allow for subsequent extensions to a tower up to a cumulative maximum height of 5 metres; and
- Increased the maximum co-location volume limit in commercial areas from 25 per cent to 50 per cent.
For further information and to keep updated on additional reforms, please visit the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications